From: Peter Silverman [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sent: 12 May 2011 18:34
To: Mike Penning (Under-secretary of State for Transport)
Cc: ‘NDD RST (E)’; ‘Will Gates’
Subject: Our Littered Motorways – meeting with senior officials
Mike, I am sorry to trouble you again but I need your help to expedite the meeting with senior officials to discuss my report “Our Littered Motorways” kindly offered in your letter to me of 31st March .
In your letter to my MP Nick Hurd of the same date you said that, because I had served a new EPA Section 91 notice on the Sec Of State legal constraints meant that it would not be advisable for you to meet with me. You went on to say it would however be beneficial for me to meet with Department and Highways Agency officials to discuss the concerns raised in my report. You had presumably been advised that, while you could not meet with me while the case was on-going, your officials could.
I therefore phoned Jon Griffiths number on the 7th April. He was not there but I explained the reason for my call and was told someone would get back to me. Not having heard anything back I rang again on 11th April and spoke to Debbie Springford who was most helpful. Again I was told someone would contact me. I e-mailed her the same day to confirm the conversation and to provide her with a copy of your letter of 31st March. A month went by and I still had not heard anything. I therefore e-mailed Debbie on 12 May only to be told that:
“.. in view of the court hearing about the M40 J Litter Abatement Order, I will not now be able to arrange the meeting until 8th June”. This was the date set for the adjourned hearing.
I have had great success with my S91 actions. The M40, apart from the slip roads, are now cleaned to a much higher standard and, following another warning notice, 18 bags of urine bottles were removed from M40 J8A. It is therefore most likely that I will issue further warning notices in due course, quite possibly before 8th June.
Could you please arrange for an official to get back to me with some dates. Hopefully, in view of the delays, the stops can be pulled out and the meeting can take place before the end of May.
I am copying this to the CPRE who, as previously discussed, will be attending the meeting.