Who is responsible for a particular highway in England?
We need to consider who is responsible for cleaning including litter picking it and who is responsible for all other aspects of its maintenance. I shall refer to this as “cutting the grass” although of course it includes maintaining the white lines, barriers, fencing, signage and lighting.
You need to answer the following questions:
Is the road included on this map of the the strategic network managed by Highways England ( previously known as the Highways Agency)?
If it is and it is a motorway Highways England is responsible for cleansing and cutting the grass.
If it is but it is not a motorway it is an All Purpose Trunk Road (ATPR).
If it is an ATPR is it on either of these two lists?
If it is then it HE is responsible for cleaning and cutting the grass.
If it is not the local authority is responsible for litter picking while the HE cuts the grass.
Is it a non motorway in London?
If yes the London Borough will be responsible for litter-picking.
Responsibility for grass cutting etc will be the responsibility of TfL if on pages 71 – 84 of this document it is in a pink section.
Otherwise the London Borough is responsible for cutting the grass etc.
Is it outside London and not a motorway or an ATPR?
The the District Council will be responsible for litter-picking
How to locate the relevant Local Authority
In Wales the South Wales Trunk Road Agent is responsible for litter collection on Motorways only. On other trunk roads litter collection is the responsibility of the relevant local authority.
- Have your say
- Roadside litter complaints
- Duty to keep land clear of litter
- Key recommendations
- Contact us
- How you can help
- REPORT: Solving the litter problem
- REPORT: Litter on motorways and trunk roads
- Highways England – legislation
- Highways England
- Highways England network map
- Litter and the law
- Litter Abatement Orders
- Penalty Notices for littering
- Safe roadside litter picking
- Litter from waste transport vehicles
- Trade Waste
- Who is responsible for cleaning this highway?
- Our FOI requests
- MP meetings – update
- Parliamentary questions
- TheyWorkForYou annotations
- Find a Local Authority
- CIWM On-line
- Get Britain Tidy blog
- Cleansing of HE trunk roads (APTRS) – further evidence from councils
- HE’s A1089 Tilbury Dock Approach Road off A13 in a mess
- PCNs – Litter from vehicles – S61 of London Local Authorities Acts 2007
- Leaked litter strategy – we have heard it all before
- Highways England admit litter is a danger for motorists
- Fly-tipping links
- Waste transporter sheds waste onto M56
- Refuse escaping from waste transporter
- Cleansing of HE trunk roads (APTRS) – transfer of responsibility to HE
- Highways England continue misrepresent their statutory litter duty
- Local Authorities spend under 60p per week per household on street cleansing
- Government response to MPs concerns about litter
- Transport Focus – zero references to road-side litter
- Highway Cleaning frequencies
- Blocking vehicle on slip road